What GPS for F800gs are you using? - Huskytalk.com - Husqvarna Motorcycle Forum

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    07-22-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmBeeDee View Post
    You just don't get it, do you? Just because these units are handheld or small doesn't mean they're not more modern than yours.

The 62 has only been out for a couple of months now. You call that "old style"?
    Vertical vs horizontal, old style vs new style.
    AZ-J
    See my pretty bike here: http://tiny.cc/MyBike

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-J View Post
    Vertical vs horizontal, old style vs new style.
    Shows how much you know...
    "The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.  

Real Name
    Guido
    07-06-12
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200GS
    That's what I mean. Don't feed the troll ...

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by cug View Post
    That's what I mean. Don't feed the troll ...
    Good point.
    "The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.  

Real Name
    Guido
    07-06-12
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200GS
    Update on my status:

I'm kind of hunting for a good priced used 276C, but if I can't find one that I think is reasonable and in good shape, I'm probably targeting the 62S. Will go to REI again and compare the displays of the Oregon and 62S beforehand again. But this time outside in sunlight.

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Update on my status:

I'm kind of hunting for a good priced used 276C, but if I can't find one that I think is reasonable and in good shape, I'm probably targeting the 62S. Will go to REI again and compare the displays of the Oregon and 62S beforehand again. But this time outside in sunlight.
    Unless you plan to power the Oregon through the usb connection, you're going to go through batteries quickly on that one. I use my 62S with the backlight turned off completely, and the display is very easy to see, and get 2.5 riding days on NiMh batteries.

Good enough for me.

Real Name
    Guido
    07-06-12
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200GS
    I was thinking that if I get one of these I could get a second rubber back that I can cut in a way that I can stick a USB plug through so that it still seals pretty well (not underwater of course). But it doesn't matter which unit I get - I'd do it for both. Want to power it through the bike anyways and carry rechargeable batteries for hiking and walking.

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    I was thinking that if I get one of these I could get a second rubber back that I can cut in a way that I can stick a USB plug through so that it still seals pretty well (not underwater of course).
    Yes, this seems to work according to reports on ADVRider. I plan to ask for a couple of extra rubber covers, when I get my refurbed Oregon back from the repair facility and do this mod as well.

Real Name
    Guido
    07-06-12
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200GS
    So, which one will you be using more on the bike? The Oregon or the 62S?

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    So, which one will you be using more on the bike? The Oregon or the 62S?
    Mostly the 62S, I think. It's just easier to see. And the slightly better resolution on the Oregon screen is useless if you can't read it. It's not that it is that difficult to see, but by the time I get my lightly tinted face shield, or sunglasses behind the clear face shield, and a bunch of bugs on either, I find the higher res screen is just harder to read.

I've had no problem reading the 62 screen so far, in about 3000 kilometres of riding with it, probably because it's not such a high res screen. It's more than the 60/76, but less than the Oregon. A good compromise.

Real Name
    George
    07-27-15
    Colorado® 400 (since replaced with the Oregon)

Real Name
    Guido
    07-06-12
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200GS
    I think I never updated here. I got the GPSMap 60CSx for $199 + Touratech Mount + Powercable + RAM Mount. All for the price of just the 62S ... was definitely a better deal for me as I hate USB connectors.

Here are some photos and explanations:

http://r1200gs.event-s.net/2010/11/gps-mount.html

Real Name
    Nunya FB
    01-07-12
    Shock vs. vibration, That was one of the things that the guy at Garmin ask me when I bought my 60cx. He went on to explain that these are 2 differen things they consider when the designate a "Motorcycle Compatable" unit. He went on to explain that they were having units returned with the pins in the charging cables boogered up due to shock when guys put the wrong units on bikes that see more rough roads that just fire roads. These were the newer units, he mentioned the Oregon series and a few other ones. He recomended the 60 series due to the duraibility of the cable. Will this effect the warranty... He refused to comment.

Question... has anybody that rides in the rough stuff had this problem?
    800GS XR650, 67 Greeves 34 Ariel Square 4 55 Mona 

Real Name
    Guido
    07-06-12
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200GS
    The Oregon series has that POS USB connector. No wonder it doesn't last. It's not meant to last.

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by endojoe View Post
    He recomended the 60 series due to the duraibility of the cable. Will this effect the warranty... He refused to comment.

Question... has anybody that rides in the rough stuff had this problem?
    I'm surprised he didn't mention the new Montana line. Garmin sells a nice rugged, lockable powered cradle for it for only $35, so there's no more of those usb only power issues as on the Oregon, Dakota and Colorados.

This is my Montana on my F800GS. It's still pricey since it's only been out for a few months, but I managed to sell my Oregon 550 while it was still worth something, to help in my purchase.

One of the big advantages of the Montana is that you can use the screen in Landscape or Portrait orientation so it'll fit well on practically any bike.

Real Name
    George
    07-27-15
    I use a colorado 400t with citynav maps. Great multipurpose unit that is waterproof and very good in the bright sun.

If I was buying a new one I would consider this, Montana™ 650t:

I have it mounted on my bike with a ram bus mount connected to a garmin gps mount.

FYI, i use the t version because then I can have the blue charts and the citynav maps on the gps. The topographical maps are the most data intensive.

Real Name
    Kevin Dunn
    08-26-13
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800GS
    new Garmin Zumo 350lm , comes with all the mounting bits you need and has lifetime mapping , water proof shock proof black rubber type coating on the body looks great

Real Name
    Bob
    10-16-17
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '14 CBR600RR
    I used Garmin Zumo for seven years on my K1200gt and loved it. My new F800GT came with a BMW IV very nicely mounted and ready to go. Drawbacks are some functions not available when mounted in the BMW cradle and no car mount supplied, must be purchased as a high priced option. My recommendation would be to go with one of the new Zumos and get more for less.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4