Virginia trip - Huskytalk.com - Husqvarna Motorcycle Forum

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Mouse
    07-25-22
    Motorcycle
    '07 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '06 K1200S
    Motorcycle
    '16 Thruxton
    Motorcycle
    '75 CB750-4 S/S
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Hi all,
    On Thursday 6/20 weather permitting we will be leaving from Brooklyn NY and heading down to Virginia.
    The plan is to start at the skyline dr to the Blue Ridge pwky and ride as far as the 2 days allow and turn back ,I only got 4 days off to get this trip in.
    Are there any special things to see or do on the way?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    10-11-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I'm from VA, so here's my thoughts: Be careful to mind the anoyingly slow speed limit. National Park rangers love giving tickets. Luray caverns is pretty cool and a short detour off skyline drive at the Thornton gap. I don't know how far south you plan to go, but the roads around and up Mt. Rodgers (Roanoke area) are fun plus there's no cops or low speed limits. It's also a nice hike up to the top of the tallest mountain in VA. Part of it includes some of the Appalachian trail. There are also tons of wineries within 30 min of skyline drive on both sides of the mountains (if you're into that kind of thing). The Wintergreen ski resort area has plenty to do. Leesburg is my favorite city in the state. It would be on the way there and back about an hour north east from the northern (Front Royal) entrance. Awesome restaurants, bars, wineries, etc. Have a great trip!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

4. Likes Cheesy rider liked this post

05-29-22
    Two days down and two days back gives you time to get to the highest point on the BRP and turn around. Go WEST, young man, to avoid the I-95 corridor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_53349_large.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	544.4 KB 
ID:	343477

Depending on how much energy you have, the Pisgah Inn is a great location after turn around, and not as expensive as you might expect for something in a national park. If you want something cheaper, the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground is "down the hill" on hwy 276 in Cruso (location for the novel Cold Mountain). In addition to tent camping sites, BRMC also has cabins. Even if you don't stay at Pisgah Inn, it's worth a stop for lunch.

If you continue further south, Caffe REL (closed Sunday-Monday, cash only, no reservations) in Franklin offers amazing food in a French bistro attached to the Hot Spot gas station.

I would offer you a place to stay in N. Georgia, but I'm leaving for a BMW "Unrally" in Lake George, NY Friday afternoon.

6. Likes Runmyownlife liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

08-25-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F 800 ST
    I'm near the DC area, but was just down near Mount Rogers. I can highly recommend the roads near Mount Rogers and the short hike from Grayson State Part to Mount Rogers. The southern half (Blueridge Parkway) is better than Skyline Drive.

If you pass near Baltimore there is a motorcycle museum near Bob's BMW that is worth a look.

Watch for police, over 80 or 20 over the limit in Virginia is reckless and potentially a jailable offense.

9. Likes ccramerusc liked this post