22nd Volcano Run - Huskytalk.com - Husqvarna Motorcycle Forum

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Yesterday, I rode to Mt. St. Helens with some friends and new friends from the Kawasaki Concours Owners Group (COG).

I think at one time there were 12 riders in the group. It made for interesting seating challenges at the restaurants we stopped at for breakfast and lunch. I think Charlie (the leader) took pity on the restaurant staff and about 6pm, we stopped at a gas station and food store for snacks instead of a sit down meal.

Here's a few shots from the trip.

The scene outside of our breakfast stop. I think there were more Concours bikes there, than interior space inside the tiny restaurant.

I got a chuckle as we were gathering inside for breakfast. Apparently, at one point, there were three guys looking at my F800GT. One of them had some serious lust for it.

On the way. Charlie made sure to include some twists and turns for our enjoyment.

In the true spirit of COG, Steve fixed two...yes, two...punctures in his rear tire, while Andy and I cheered him on. The only thing missing from my Bun Cooler training last year, was the beer and about 30 more guys giving suggestions.

Mt. St. Helens in the background.

I climbed this mountain back in the 9th grade when it looked like Mt. Fuji in Japan - a perfect cone-shaped volcano, and a couple thousand feet higher with glaciers on it. I remember thinking to myself as we crossed the crater to get to the other side and the true summit, that this was an active volcano, supposedly, and what would it be like if it blew.

The area is still pretty desolate. And it has been almost 30 years (May 18, 1980).

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

2. Likes Richard230, TheMeteor, Willy liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    This is what Mt. St. Helens looked like when I climbed it.

Chris

5. Likes Richard230, Willy liked this post

Real Name
    Chuck
    10-18-20
    The Charlie you refer to is Charlie Gary, past Area Director of the Northwest COG and one of the finest people that you will every find. I worked with him on the 2013 COG National Rally held in Idaho Falls, Idaho and have ridden with him several times. A very good man! I rode up to Johnson Ridge last week and it was beautiful and as you say desolate. You rode with a great bunch of people.

7. Likes Daboo liked this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I totally agree. He took me under his wing back in 2018 when I attended my first COG event, the Bun Cooler in Kamiah, ID. I kept comparing what I saw and experienced at the MOA Getaway in Coeur d'Alene the year before with the friendliness of the COG group and signed up to be a member.

Chris

Real Name
    Chuck
    10-18-20
    I see where the COG National is being held in Vancouver, Washington next June. They could always use some volunteer help. I'm up here in Washington during the summer so I think Ill attend. Sorry I missed the Volcano Run this past 3rd. It's always a fun ride. You know if you wanted to set up a COG day ride from Chehalis to Raymond and Westport and back I'd be happy to help you. Lots of great roads on the west side of I-5.

Chuck Lawrence
    Former COG #1701