Social distancing - Huskytalk.com - Husqvarna Motorcycle Forum

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    Quote Originally Posted by Lag View Post
    With 18 states in the red zone for cases and spiraling out of control: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.

Hmmmm,,,,The Corona Virus thread is closed, one of the more popular threads used daily with more then 1000 posts, hard to think its not topical, maybe Donald Trump is right, "one day this thing will just magically go away",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?
    Try it now. I may have been able to reopen it.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

2. Likes woody59 liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

08-17-20
    I prefer to stay at home

Real Name
    terry
    09-30-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkUltra View Post
    I prefer to stay at home
    Umm, where is home? You've not included even the barest of info????
    "I was cut out to be a genius. Unfortunately somebody forgot to put the pieces together"
    Tubby Clayton - Toc H founder 

6. Likes IanA liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT

9. Likes IanA, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    terry
    09-30-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Too many people over here, mainly the younger generation, are not adhering to the guidelines so on Monday it will be mandatory for all to wear a mask in shops and any enclosed spaces as our R rate has risen to just over 2 from 0.5 two three weeks ago and mostly in the under 45s. We should have done that from the very start and they're also blaming it on overseas visitors trying to get away from their own problems!
    "I was cut out to be a genius. Unfortunately somebody forgot to put the pieces together"
    Tubby Clayton - Toc H founder 

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    Quote Originally Posted by oxytotl View Post
    Too many people over here, mainly the younger generation, are not adhering to the guidelines so on Monday it will be mandatory for all to wear a mask in shops and any enclosed spaces as our R rate has risen to just over 2 from 0.5 two three weeks ago and mostly in the under 45s. We should have done that from the very start and they're also blaming it on overseas visitors trying to get away from their own problems!
    It is the same here. Most older people wear masks all the time, while adults between the ages of 20 and 40 seem less concerned about wearing masks, especially when they get together in groups. In response the local health officers close down all "nonessential" indoor businesses, including bars, restaurants, barber shops, nail salons, gyms, etc. So business owners get punished, while the people not wearing masks and social distancing go about their merry way. Frankly, I don't get it. What did the businesses do to deserve being shut down? I have yet to see a single business that was shown on the news not following all of the county health officer guidelines.

The latest idea in the 9 San Francisco Bay Area counties is that they are all adopting fines that range between $100 and $500 for individuals and up to $10K for businesses that don't toe the line. But enforcement is just about nonexistent as police officers don't want to enforce the rules, having better things to do. So the counties are turning to random government officials, like code enforcement officers to enforce the rules and issue fines. That is not going to work out well if they run across someone who is drunk and wants to pick a fight with them.

Meanwhile, the beaches are completely packed and health officials are saying that all beach goers must wear masks. Good luck enforcing that too. The problem is just too great and the number of people charged with enforcing the rules are much too few. Let's face it. Even the CHP can't keep up with all of the speeding, cell phone usage, drunk driving, HOV violations, and the like on the freeways, picking up just a few percentage of the violators and they are experts at that job. The government officials can pass all of the laws and fines that they want, but if no one pays any attention to them and there is little enforcement, what is the point? It just makes them feel good and gives the news media and talk shows something to discuss. This is the land of the free and the devil can take the hindmost.

On the other hand, one of the little oil-rich Middle Eastern Arab nations has a fine for not wearing a mask when outside one's home of $50,000. Now that might get people's attention and be worth enforcing.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

12. Likes Daboo, woody59 liked this post

07-05-21
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    It is the same here. Most older people wear masks all the time, while adults between the ages of 20 and 40 seem less concerned about wearing masks, especially when they get together in groups. In response the local health officers close down all "nonessential" indoor businesses, including bars, restaurants, barber shops, nail salons, gyms, etc. So business owners get punished, while the people not wearing masks and social distancing go about their merry way. Frankly, I don't get it. What did the businesses do to deserve being shut down? I have yet to see a single business that was shown on the news not following all of the county health officer guidelines.
    From the very first days of this my sense was that the onus ought be on the people most at risk for a bad outcome to take it upon themselves to be OCD about distancing and isolating--whatever is required to avoid getting infected. This is me, having had diabetes over 30y plus one other significant comorbidity. But younger healthy people could take their chances which are actually pretty benign even w/ COVID-19. The caveat of course is with our very high overweight and obesity rates so many of those younger people who might assume they're lower risk really aren't. This reality has been somewhat downplayed but I think it's a significant reason why our hospitalization and death rates are what they are. That legendary 'American Exceptionalism' has morphed over into exceptionally lame at management something like this. Here's some perspective from a neighbor to our north, living in the apartment above the meth lab:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...5df0Qi_Kli1eWw

14. Likes Lag, Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    From the very first days of this my sense was that the onus ought be on the people most at risk for a bad outcome to take it upon themselves to be OCD about distancing and isolating--whatever is required to avoid getting infected...
    That really is the bottom line. "take it upon themselves to be OCD"

Sweden has been an interesting situation and an example to me of people taking the responsibility themselves. They didn't shut down their economy. They kept schools in session. And the MSM has been quick to point out the number of deaths they've had. Looking back - or Monday Morning Quarterbacking - shows they could've done more to protect the senior citizens in nursing homes. But what you don't see published often is how their infection and death rate has been less than several countries that took some pretty drastic steps to shut things down.

I don't know what the answer is, and I doubt that anyone does. But like you wrote, "the onus ought be on the people most at risk". I think this virus will be with us for quite some time. So it is up to me to take care of myself and those I love.

An analogy came to mind while I was typing this. If I take my bike in for service and the mechanic forgets to tighten something down...who ends up stranded on the side of the road? The mechanic? Nope. I'm the one who has the problem, and I'm the one who should've been OCD to use your term and done my pre-ride check. Substitute mechanic for government or all the other people out there that I meet, and the malfunction to be the virus...and who has the problem? It's me.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Here's some perspective from a neighbor to our north, living in the apartment above the meth lab:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...5df0Qi_Kli1eWw

A profound article Noel and hopefully not a prophecy,,. Dam Canadians and there opinions,,!!

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    I had my yearly 5-minute medical checkup at Kaiser, paid for by Medicare, this morning. My doctor said that I was fine and he wasn't even going to subscribe a blood test this year. My temperature was 96 degrees F. I found it odd that my blood pressure was very high the first time they took it. The nurse then told me to relax and close my eyes. It then dropped by 20 psi (or whatever it is). So all is good until next year, I guess. My doctor also told me that if I had any virus symptoms to be sure to call him first before getting a COVID19 test.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I used to have the same problem. The primary care doctor's nurse was very very attractive. She'd take my pulse and blood pressure and it would be sky high. Then about 15 minutes or more later, the doctor would take it. I'm not sure why, but it was always much lower when he did it.

Chris

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    I used to have the same problem. The primary care doctor's nurse was very very attractive. She'd take my pulse and blood pressure and it would be sky high. Then about 15 minutes or more later, the doctor would take it. I'm not sure why, but it was always much lower when he did it.

Chris
    I couldn't actually see the nurse as she was completely covered with personal protection equipment.

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    I was just out at a beach café near by and there were two groups of kid with bikes, 5 in one group perhaps 11 or 12 yrs, and 3 in the another group perhaps 9 or 10 yrs,,.
    Not only were they sharing space, they were sharing food, sharing there cell phones/bikes and everything else,,. No Covid precautions there, not even in there vocabulary by the looks of things,,. I wonder what there parents have to say,,. Another group who rent a house nearby are in there late teens/early 20's, they spend a lot of time on a out door deck and no Covid there either, passing the joint, passing the pipe, passing the drinks, suntan lotion and a different group from one day to the next,.

I think were just lucky here that the incidence rate is so low that your odds of getting it are so low that you pretty much get the same result no matter what your practices are,,!!

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    ...I think were just lucky here that the incidence rate is so low that your odds of getting it are so low that you pretty much get the same result no matter what your practices are,,!!
    I have thought the same thing, several times.

For instance, I try to use hand sanitizer after filling up with gas, and after leaving a store. But, there are times I've put on all my gear and then realize...dummy, you may have contaminated everything. Luckily, I haven't brought the virus home after those times. And even when I'm doing the best I can not to infect something on me or the bike/car...I know someone could easily poke holes in how I'm doing things.

Chris

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    I saw a couple of small children walking around my neighborhood today. They looked to be about 4 and 6 years old. Both children were walking by themselves and were both wearing masks. So it looks like the little kids get it. Teenagers, though. That is a different story.

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    I saw a couple of small children walking around my neighborhood today. They looked to be about 4 and 6 years old. Both children were walking by themselves and were both wearing masks. So it looks like the little kids get it. Teenagers, though. That is a different story.
    Ya, I've seen the same, I think what I'm referring to is unsupervised children and young adults that are out of sight, out of mind,,. When they are with Mom its probable a different situation,,. My Neighbors 12 year old does not social distance when he is with his friends, now they are out east visiting the Grand Parents, in there 80's both of whom have recovered in the past 18 months from very serious illness, Cancer and Heart surgery so I'm not sure how that is all going to work as it involves a 5 hr flight as well?

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    Ya, I've seen the same, I think what I'm referring to is unsupervised children and young adults that are out of sight, out of mind,,. When they are with Mom its probable a different situation,,. My Neighbors 12 year old does not social distance when he is with his friends, now they are out east visiting the Grand Parents, in there 80's both of whom have recovered in the past 18 months from very serious illness, Cancer and Heart surgery so I'm not sure how that is all going to work as it involves a 5 hr flight as well?
    I don't blame you for being concerned. There are several opportunities for catching the virus during that visit. I hope that doesn't happen and the trip and visit turn out well and everyone remains healthy.

Hopefully, you don't know anyone who has been to Sturgis lately. If you do, I would steer clear of them for the next couple of weeks.

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Hopefully, you don't know anyone who has been to Sturgis lately. If you do, I would steer clear of them for the next couple of weeks.
    There is nothing about that Sturgis event that appeals to me, Corona Virus or not, to each there own but not my cup of tea?

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    The Kelowna area was basically Covid free 4 weeks ago, I lot of this started when a half dozen girls from the next province pulled into town,,. They effected half the nightclub and then headed for the exercise club the next morning,,. Shows what a problem this is,,!!

About 1,000 people are in self-isolation after being in close contact with those who tested positive in a COVID-19 outbreak in Kelowna, British Columbia’s top doctor said Wednesday. "In the last few weeks we’re seeing an increase in younger people who tend to have milder illness that recover more quickly, but there are some people, even young people, who get very sick and end up in hospital. Young people who may be asymptomatic, or have mild enough symptoms that they don’t notice they are sick, potentially pass it on to parents or grandparents",,.

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    There was an article in my newspaper today that explained why visitors to California are not quarantined as they are in most countries and some states. And the answer is (and I quote the Stanford Department of Medicine Grand Rounds, July 29): "Our own transmission rates are so high that outsiders don't significantly add to the threat, say health officers. It doesn't make sense for California counties to erect stiff quarantine rules or recommendations for visitors from outside the state."

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I saw that New Zealand got their first cases in 102 days. I don't believe a lot of what I see, but I think this will be around for quite awhile. The weird thing about this, is they hadn't been in contact with anyone from outside NZ.

I've been puzzled about one thing in the past couple of weeks. At first, we were focusing on "flattening the curve". Then we talked about how full the hospitals were and how many were dying. But recently, most of the focus has been on the number of new infections.

The number of infections seem to increase as the number of people tested increases. I've read that between 40% and 80% of those tested, show no symptoms. But they are covered in the media as if every one of those that test positive was going to end up in the hospital or morgue. And that's not true.

Chris

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    I give up. In the face of such stupidity, lack of reading comprehension and spreading of downright fake noos, yoos is doomed. Best of luck dotards.

07-05-21
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    But they are covered in the media as if every one of those that test positive was going to end up in the hospital or morgue. And that's not true. Chris
    Well you know--the media sensationalizes pretty much everything

31. Likes Daboo liked this post

07-05-21
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    There was an article in my newspaper today that explained why visitors to California are not quarantined as they are in most countries and some states. And the answer is (and I quote the Stanford Department of Medicine Grand Rounds, July 29): "Our own transmission rates are so high that outsiders don't significantly add to the threat, say health officers. It doesn't make sense for California counties to erect stiff quarantine rules or recommendations for visitors from outside the state."
    Seems like a valid point.

07-05-21
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    I found it odd that my blood pressure was very high the first time they took it.
    This is pretty typical regardless of whether it was the foxy nurse or the seasoned old doctor who checked it the first time during those initial seconds/minutes of interaction after the patient has been roomed. It's a little known fact having blood pressure that changes according to conditions is actually a sign of a healthy, responsive system. People whose autonomic nervous system is damaged will have more stable blood pressures and be less able to adapt to conditions.

34. Likes Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    I found it odd that my blood pressure was very high the first time they took it.

This is pretty typical regardless of whether it was the foxy nurse or the seasoned old doctor who checked it the first time during those initial seconds/minutes of interaction after the patient has been roomed. It's a little known fact having blood pressure that changes according to conditions is actually a sign of a healthy, responsive system. People whose autonomic nervous system is damaged will have more stable blood pressures and be less able to adapt to conditions.
    One of my biggest pet peeves is how doctors will prescribe medications or changes to meds based on a single blood pressure test result,,. I purchased an inexpensive machine and the first thing I learned was its totally normal for my reading to be all over the map, I've also done comparison tests with my doctors machine and the local drugstore machine so it is accurate,,. To take one test once and a while and prescribe medication is completely wrong, medical degree or not,,. Do not accept advise without first confirming what your actual average is over a range of tests taken at different times of the day,,!!

36. Likes Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    This is pretty typical regardless of whether it was the foxy nurse...
    Yeah, but she was real cute.

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT

One of my biggest pet peeves is how doctors will prescribe medications or changes to meds based on a single blood pressure test result,,. I purchased an inexpensive machine and the first thing I learned was its totally normal for my reading to be all over the map, I've also done comparison tests with my doctors machine and the local drugstore machine so it is accurate,,. To take one test once and a while and prescribe medication is completely wrong, medical degree or not,,. Do not accept advise without first confirming what your actual average is over a range of tests taken at different times of the day,,!!
    Lyle, the practice you mention is not the case in Australia. Our guidelines are for a minimum three blood pressure measurements on three different occasions by the same doctor. This is precisely because the 'white coat' effect is so widely acknowledged. 24 hour monitoring via an automated sphygmomanometer is a routine means of establishing initial and ongoing antihypertensive medicines.

39. Likes Noel liked this post

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Florida sheriff bans face masks among officers

MIAMI -- A Florida sheriff ordered his officers to not wear face masks -- and banned the safety gear from his office -- even as the southern U.S. state has hit record daily coronavirus death tolls.

Sheriff Billy Woods, of central Florida's Marion County, emailed deputies Tuesday to tell them of the new mask prohibition, according to local paper the Ocala Star Banner, citing the message.

"My order will stand as is when you are on-duty/working as my employee and representing my Office – masks will not be worn," the email read.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/florida...cers-1.5062546

41. Likes OX-34 liked this post

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    And a quote from that article:

"It's one thing not to require mask wearing, but to explicitly ban it? That takes a special kind of stupid," one said.

I agree that the sherriff has full blown Trump-worthy stoopidity. The land of the free and the home of the_____.

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    "My order will stand as is when you are on-duty/working as my employee and representing my Office – masks will not be worn,"

This must be a private institution that he is running,, "my",,"my",,"my",,!! No wonder people are turning up dead all over the place?

Quote Originally Posted by OX-34 View Post

"It's one thing not to require mask wearing, but to explicitly ban it? That takes a special kind of stupid," one said.

I agree that the sherriff has full blown Trump-worthy stoopidity. The land of the free and the home of the_____.

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT

07-05-21
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    One of my biggest pet peeves is how doctors will prescribe medications or changes to meds based on a single blood pressure test result...
    If any medical provider suggested starting medication for high blood based on one or even an occasional elevated reading in an otherwise essentially healthy person I'd leave the office immediately!

In my experience over 38y as an RN working in the USA in critical care, ER, surgical ICU/Trauma Unit for the first half, then in ambulatory primary care and medical informatics for the back half, never did I witness any medical provider prescribe medications for high blood pressure based on any single test or even occasionally elevated ones w/ the average was where it needed to be, but sure there will be some who don't follow best practices, but very few in my experience. The standard of care for a long time now has been to monitor, suggest the usual lifestyle changes first, then consider medication intervention if indicated. This is always what I've seen working closely with very many MD's, mid-levels, etc over the years. The picture changes for people w/ significant comorbidities (chronic kidney disease, for example) with the downside risk of medication offset by other considerations. And the target BP changes according to comorbities involved as well.

07-05-21
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT

When the Lying-Charletan-Conman-In-Chief won the primary then the general election, my biggest reaction was not anti-Trump per se. Narcissitic sociopaths come and go, but the really sad part was that enough people here actually voted him in. And he still has considerable support. This is the real problem here in the United States of Stupid. I wrote this letter to the editor published some time ago and I think it's far more true today than I imagined when I wrote the letter. You could not DESIGN a better candidate to enact this role. I could add lots more content to this today, but I'll leave it at that:

The Russian Trojan Horse

Once upon a time a minority in a country that was the envy of the world elected a Russian Trojan Horse, posing as a masterful businessman and Christian, to become King. The minority was comprised of smaller groups, each with its own needs, and the Trojan Horse understood well how to exploit their various vulnerabilities. He surmised, “I’ll sow division, and use Double Speak to trick the people into believing I’m here to make the country Great Again. While they are busily quarreling amongst themselves I’ll destroy their environmental protections responsible for clean air and water, spawn lasting distrust amongst their oldest international allies, declare climate change is a Chinese hoax and will make coal, the dirtiest fuel of all, their fuel of choice. And best of all,” he said, “I’ll destroy their economy slowly, without them even realizing what’s happening. I’ll start by giving the richest in the land a giant tax break.” Next, he said, “I’ll start a big trade war by levying tariffs that the commoners will pay for because,” he laughed, “They believe anything I tell them! They think I’m God!”

The End.

47. Likes Lag, OX-34 liked this post

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Excellent post Noel.

Do be careful, though, of 'somebody' coming along (lets call them a by the nom de plume* "Yabbadabbadoo" to protect they's eyedentitty**) who claims a Gahd-given right to delete posts, change passwords, lock threads ban members for using their First Amendments Rights and by golly gosh-darn saying anything at all anti-Trump, at all, at all. Praise Cheeses.

* Don't many inside the Wall (big, beautiful Wall) cayn read nothin but 'Murican so he'll not be able to figure out this term.
    ** c.f. recent post about a purdy nurse causing both transient hypertension AND the homonym presented here.

07-05-21
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Excellent post Noel
    Well, I'm just being honest with what I see, not attacking anyone here personally, and I think we still have protected freedom to criticize our government w/o fear of reproach.

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    What to do on a hot Friday afternoon? How about practicing social distancing at the local State beach? You can bet that I was keeping my distance from that crowd, both on the beach and along the highway heading for the beaches further down the coast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9346.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	367117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9347.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	367119  

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    What to do on a hot Friday afternoon? How about practicing social distancing at the local State beach? You can bet that I was keeping my distance from that crowd, both on the beach and along the highway heading for the beaches further down the coast.
    Looks pretty civilized?

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	367281  
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic-Gone to a new home
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

53. Likes Richard230, IanA, steve n rose liked this post

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    More than 100 coronavirus cases in 8 states linked to massive Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gettyimages-1227980344.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	367539
    People watch a concert at the Full Throttle Saloon during the 80th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in Sturgis, South Dakota on August 9, 2020.
    MICHAEL CIAGLO / GETTY IMAGES
    Now, health officials in multiple states are using contact tracing to determine how many Sturgis visitors may have brought the virus back home with them.

The annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota drew hundreds of thousands of bikers to the small town earlier this month — despite coronavirus concerns. Now, about three weeks after the rally kicked off, the repercussions are starting to become clear. More than 100 cases of COVID-19 connected to the rally have been reported in at least eight states, the Associated Press reports.

So far, state health departments have reported 103 cases in South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming and Washington, according to the AP.

While bikers ride in open air, the rally also attracts huge crowds of patrons to bars, stores and other businesses around Sturgis where coronavirus can spread more easily. Some safety measures, like sanitizing sidewalks, were put in place, but masks were not required, City of Sturgis Public Information Officer Christina Steele told CBS News via email ahead of the event.

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    More than 100 coronavirus cases in 8 states linked to massive Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gettyimages-1227980344.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	367539
    People watch a concert at the Full Throttle Saloon during the 80th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in Sturgis, South Dakota on August 9, 2020.
    MICHAEL CIAGLO / GETTY IMAGES
    Now, health officials in multiple states are using contact tracing to determine how many Sturgis visitors may have brought the virus back home with them.

The annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota drew hundreds of thousands of bikers to the small town earlier this month — despite coronavirus concerns. Now, about three weeks after the rally kicked off, the repercussions are starting to become clear. More than 100 cases of COVID-19 connected to the rally have been reported in at least eight states, the Associated Press reports.

So far, state health departments have reported 103 cases in South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming and Washington, according to the AP.

While bikers ride in open air, the rally also attracts huge crowds of patrons to bars, stores and other businesses around Sturgis where coronavirus can spread more easily. Some safety measures, like sanitizing sidewalks, were put in place, but masks were not required, City of Sturgis Public Information Officer Christina Steele told CBS News via email ahead of the event.

I assume Lyle, that you are not too surprised at that outcome. I don't think sanitizing sidewalks helped much.

Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Ian
    10-10-22
    100 cases will be just the tip of the proverbial. That's hotspots generated in at least eight states that will now expand until someone has balls enough to demand a positive and targeted program of lockdown and social restriction. What chance of that? There will be at least 15 or twenty innocent people die over the next two months, just because a bunch of Bubba Beerbellys' greed and delusions of invincibility. I hope sanity prevails eventually in your patch, guys - but there's not much sign of it so far.
    Stay safe and good luck with the November seminal event and pest eradication...

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Good Luck with the Messaging,,!!

A Large Crowd At President Trump's RNC Rally Basically Ignored COVID-19 Social Distancing Precautions
    Washington, DC, prohibits crowds larger than 50 people because of the pandemic, but federal land is exempt.

President Donald Trump addressed the Republican National Convention from the White House on Thursday as a packed audience largely ignored precautions meant to prevent the spread of COVID-19, instead sitting shoulder to shoulder and donning few masks.

An estimated 1,500 people were expected to gather on the South Lawn, including Republican members of Congress, despite DC rules that prohibit gatherings of more than 50 people and require anyone entering the city from a "high-risk state" to self-quarantine for 14 days. Those rules, however, don't apply to federal property, so the White House was exempt from the restrictions.

The novel coronavirus has infected more than 13,000 people and killed 605 in Washington, DC, according to the city's latest numbers.

58. Likes scf, WildWilly liked this post

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    100 cases will be just the tip of the proverbial...
    Make that 260 and counting, that was last month?

The first known Covid-19 death linked to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is in Minnesota

"The person was in their 60s and had been hospitalized and in the ICU," Minnesota health department spokesman Doug Schultz said. He said the patient also had underlying health conditions. A CNN survey of state health departments last month found at least 260 cases in 12 states linked to the Sturgis rally.

Thousands of motorcyclists and biking enthusiasts gathered in the South Dakota city of Sturgis, population 7,000, for the 10-day rally last month. While it's normally a economic boon for the community, most Sturgis residents voted against having the rally this year. But the city approved it nonetheless.

The rally ran from August 7-16, with an estimated 460,000 attendee vehicles. Because bikers came from all across the country, it's difficult to know how many people were infected at the rally and then brought the virus back to their home states.
    But 61% of all US counties have been visited by someone who was at Sturgis, according to Camber Systems, which collects and analyzes cell phone activity for health researchers.
    Last edited by Lag; 09-03-20 at 11:23 AM.

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	42 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	367819  

61. Likes Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	39 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	367827  

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	37 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	367849  

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	35 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	367887  

65. Likes Richard230, Lag, scf, steve n rose liked this post

07-05-21
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    .... just because a bunch of Bubba Beerbellys' greed and delusions of invincibility.
    Here in 'merica the main thing is to not let your inalienble rights be trampled because of some stinkin' public health interventions!

67. Likes scf, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	32 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	368025  

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast