Test Ride? - Huskytalk.com - Husqvarna Motorcycle Forum

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

09-06-22
    After lots of researching (like in here) and daydreaming, I've finally come to the conclusion that the F800GT is what I want. But I've never ridden one. A dealership has a used one that I really want (I think) but when I called they said no test rides. I buy it, and they guarantee a full refund that it works as expected, but no riding until it's a done deal and paid for. Really? That seemed crazy to me that they expect people to buy w/o a test ride. But I've never bought a bike from a dealership (new or used) in my entire life. Cars I have, and in fact they encourage the test drive to wet your appetite. Are they crazy or am I? And if it's me, then how do I test ride one before buying? I don't see any used ones for sale very close to me at the moment that I could look at another one that maybe a private party is selling. (Plus I wouldn't feel right doing it if I really only wanted the test ride and had no intention of buying it.)

2. Likes Roadpizza liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

10-07-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Most BMW dealers allow test rides or did in the past. I bought my ZR7S Kawasaki unridden because mot Japanese dealers don't allow the tests.
    I probably bought my ST and G650GS untested because I had other BMW experiences and knew the brand.
    If word of mouth would help, the GT repaces the ST which I found to be a remarkably fun bike to ride. Capable commuter, a delight in the canyons and mountains and great as a long distance tourer.
    You should otta edit your sign in to include where you are at and that would help find a neighbor that my introduce to the bike properly. Good luck.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    There's a couple things at play here. But first...where do you live? I know what's going on in the Puget Sound area...but nothing at all about what's happening in South Africa, or wherever you're located at. There's a place in your profile to enter that one time and have it show up.

Anyway, if you were here in the Puget Sound area, they'd let you take a ride on a new BMW if the coronavirus wasn't locking things down. If they get the miles to a certain point, they can sell the bike as a "demo" bike and offer a nice discount. As the F800GT isn't sold as new anymore generally, you're riding a bike that is on consignment. Probably some people allow test rides when they sell the bike through a dealership. Perhaps, others don't.

Another thing is that if you just call on the phone, chances are if they don't know you, they won't tell you over the phone that a test ride is possible. If you ride your current bike to the dealership with your gear on, you're giving more credibility that you in fact, know what you're doing and are serious.

How tall are you? That actually makes a difference. Shorter people generally like the GT. Once you hit a certain height, the bike becomes too small for ergonomics.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Andrew
    10-10-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    I'd imagine dealerships (especially smaller operations) are tired of the test rides returning on a flatbed. Lots of risk to the seller. And too many people who overestimate their skill.

As Chris speaks to, having a bit of a relationship or face to face chat will help.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

09-06-22
    Huh. Okay, I guess I was the crazy one then. But I still can't get over dropping $7,000 down on the table for the key to something I haven't ridden. My brother has a Honda VFR that he loves, but after riding it for a while, I thought it was a bit too aggressive of a riding position for me. (The first half hour was good though.) And I wouldn't have experienced the addiction of keeping the revs above 6k so the second set of valves open up. That was nice.
    Thanks for the tip about adding to my profile. I'll do that. In the mean time, I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, NW of the city. I'm 6' even and 160 lbs. My current bike is an '82 Yamaha Maxim XJ650. It's been my current bike for 24 years now. Never ever had a problem with it. It replaced a '74 Honda CL 360. And I like sunsets and walks along the beach.

9. Likes MGD109 liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Welcome from Puget Sound! Maybe someone in the Philadelphia area has one that you can at least sit on...assuming you stay 6' away.

At six foot, you're at the upper end of the ergonomic comfort zone, but not over it. Handlebar risers and a footpeg lowering kit will do wonders for you. Also, BMW has a "comfort" seat, which adds some seat height.

I think you'll find the F800GT is a sleeper. I say "sleeper" because people don't look at it as a powerful bike. In fact, many people think it is under-powered. I don't feel that way. I think it is just very refined in what it does and you end up going fast without any fuss. On my first day trip, I headed over to Hurricane Ridge on the Olympic Peninsula. I met a Ducati rider on the ferry and we headed off together. Along the way, we saw some state troopers on the side of the road. I looked down at my speedometer thinking I was doing about 60 mph in a 55 mph zone...and found I was doing 90. Lucky for us, they were talking and decided not to give us a performance award. But the point is that the bike does speed like that without making it obvious.

I've never ridden a VFR, so I've never experienced that rush as the second set of valves opens up. But the GT is like a different bike once you hit north of 5000 rpms. Below that, the torque gets you through traffic very nicely with little effort. But hit 5000-5500 rpms and open the throttle and the bike takes off. I kept up easily with riders on Kawasaki and Ducati bikes last summer who were putting out about 160 hp at the rear wheel. And the Michigan State police tested a F800GT for LEO service and clocked it at 139 mph. That's not underpowered.

It'll commute all day and bring a smile to your face. You can also use it for multi-state touring. If the virus wasn't happening, I'd be heading back from Death Valley at this time. I had planned to go down there for some BBQ with some friends...from Seattle. On trips like that, I've never wished for a different bike.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Andrew
    10-10-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    I bought mine in winter - no test riding (or any riding) for at least 5 months of the year.

I sat on the bike in the riding position (centre stand) and then when flat footed, jostled the bike sideways to get an idea of the centre of gravity.

I'm 178cm (5'10") with slightly more length in my upper body. The ergonomics fit me like a glove.

12. Likes dstillhere liked this post

10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Welcome

Can only speak for the UK but test rides are never a problem from dealers, they sometimes have stipulations about the length of time you must have held a full licence for (normally longer than a year) but I've never been refused a test ride. I personally could not envisage buying a motorbike without a test ride. Of course that was pre lockdown so undoubtedly the situation will now vary widely.

Although I'm a huge fan of the F800GT, there are two issues that some riders find intolerable. Vibration through the handlebars and the heat that the engine can generate. I have no problem with either of these but others have found it so bad that they have had to sell the bike. I can't recommend highly enough that at the very least you get a test ride on one of the F800 variants before pulling the trigger on an expensive deal.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

04-25-22
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    I have never--never--bought a bike w/o a test ride, sometimes several rides over several days or weeks. Granted the bikes have all been purchased from a dealer, either BMW or Japanese, but never has a dealer refused a test ride. Unthinkable to them and to me. I present myself to the dealership wearing ATGATT and show my license with a motorcycle endorsement and there is no question in their mind that I am a serious rider. First of all, my Darien Hi-Viz has plenty of miles and "street cred" (read: stains). Usually the only question they ask is: "Are you ready to buy today or are you still shopping?" Doesn't hurt that I am a grandfather with gray hair, so they understand I likely am not going street stunting and racing on their new bike.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

15. Likes dstillhere liked this post

Real Name
    Cramer
    10-11-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Maybe my experiences are odd, but I've NEVER taken a test ride of any bike I've ever bought. Granted, I've only bought 3 bikes over 20 years of riding. One was brand new from a dealer (Suzuki SV650S), and they would not let me test drive it. The other two were used from private parties, neither of which would let me ride it. I started them, but didn't ride them before purchasing and then putting in the back of my truck to drive home.

The only problems that resulted from this was my F800ST which had warped rotors (or at least the symptoms).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

17. Likes dstillhere liked this post

04-25-22
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    I am having a hard time imagining what the buying experience is like for you guys who never take a test ride. It simply does not register in my brain. The dealer never fails to be the first one to say: "Here, take a test ride. You will love this bike." He/she always says this before I ever mention that I want/expect to take a test ride. Of course, I have just walked in wearing ATGATT, so …

But seriously, I can't envision not being offered a test ride. Things must really be different here in fly-over country.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

10-11-22
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    It really depends on the dealer. Around here (Bay Area, Cali) most Euro brands have dealerships that are very accommodating to test rides, but virtually none of the Japanese market bikes allow test rides unless the brand has sent a demo bike to them or they have a used bike on premises that's already got miles on it. It works out here because of the mindset of the buyer. If someone really wants an R6 or an MT0x, they are just going to buy it, but try to get someone to spend extra for a premium brand ($$$) takes a little more effort and the test ride is often what gets it done.

20. Likes Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Andrew
    10-10-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    I am having a hard time imagining what the buying experience is like for you guys who never take a test ride. It simply does not register in my brain. The dealer never fails to be the first one to say: "Here, take a test ride. You will love this bike." He/she always says this before I ever mention that I want/expect to take a test ride. Of course, I have just walked in wearing ATGATT, so …

But seriously, I can't envision not being offered a test ride. Things must really be different here in fly-over country.
    You talk a little, admire and maybe caress. You pretty much know if this is the one you would like to take home.

Maybe you folks in the fly-over region need a test ride to figure things out.
    Last edited by Runmyownlife; 04-09-20 at 10:51 PM.

10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Runmyownlife View Post
    You talk a little, admire and maybe caress. You pretty much know if this is the one you would like to take home.

Sounds more like a night on the pull rather than buying a motorbike.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

23. Likes Norfolk UK liked this post

Real Name
    Mark Molloy
    03-11-21
    Gidday.
    Here in Australia, or at least in this corner of NSW, the state in which I live, the bike dealers will let you take a test drive only after you sign an onerous legal document and put up your first-born as a guarantee.
    I tried refusing to sign one when I was on a hunt for a 2nd hand bike once and the dealer would not resile from the dealership rules. I feel that most bike dealerships are now just another money making enterprise, run on business lines. I've been riding for over 50 years and back then (Ok settle down grandpa) bike shops were run and staffed by enthusiasts.
    My local Honda dealer has a bloke working the front desk who doesn't ride and doesn't even have a bike licence.
    Mark

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

04-11-22
    A few comments: as others have said, developing a relationship with the dealer is key for a test ride, especially on a non-demo bike. So, you need to be there in person, with all your gear, and appear serious. Available funds will help. Being an experienced rider will help, i.e., riding for a while, maybe an MSF grad, etc. with a valid insurance policy. With all that, especially in this market on a niche bike like the GT, if you can't negotiate a test ride, I'd walk away and look for another dealer. If they won't meet you on this, that speaks volumes on how they will treat you post sale.

Personally, I will never again buy a motorcycle without a test ride. The last time I did that was with a ST1300, sold it in six months, hated it.

Good luck!
    Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig. 

27. Likes dstillhere liked this post

07-21-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '13 Tiger 800
    Motorcycle
    '09 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '75 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '68 Commando
    Find a place that will rent you one and ride it for a day. I rented one in Italy and that was why, when I decided to sell my RT, I bought an 800GT from a dealer that had it on consignment. They offered me a test ride, but I didn't need one. I live in Massachusetts and drove to Greensboro to get this on. brought it back in my pickup truck. BTW, the folks at Motorcycles of Greensboro were great to deal with. Point is you can search beyond your local area and find a good deal. What year is the GT you are looking at. price, mileage? Folks here will let you know if they think it's a good deal or not. https://www.bmw-ducati.com
    "AND THE DAWN COMES UP LIKE THUNDER.." 

04-25-22
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Runmyownlife View Post

Sounds more like a woman, not like a machine that has to be tried out.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

30. Likes The-Mick48 liked this post

04-04-21
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by notacop View Post
    Most BMW dealers allow test rides or did in the past. I bought my ZR7S Kawasaki unridden because mot Japanese dealers don't allow the tests.
    I probably bought my ST and G650GS untested because I had other BMW experiences and knew the brand.
    If word of mouth would help, the GT repaces the ST which I found to be a remarkably fun bike to ride. Capable commuter, a delight in the canyons and mountains and great as a long distance tourer.
    You should otta edit your sign in to include where you are at and that would help find a neighbor that my introduce to the bike properly. Good luck.
    I'll second that comment/review. If it helps you, I purchased my 2007 F800ST from a reputable BMW dealer in WI with no test ride, only photos to go by (Shoutout to Tytler's Cycle in DePere, WI....I'm in IL). The dealership sent me the build sheet on the bike and the service repair invoice for all the repairs made on the bike to prep it for sale, (about $1,500 in repairs). I've also read it is very similar to the newer GT model. Great acceleration and low-end torque and a great commuter + bike super comfy seat! The only thing to be aware of is it might feel a bit snug for a taller rider (6'-1" and over...I'm 6'-3"). I'm looking into a taller windscreen and they do make a peg lowering kit for the 800 series but so far I don't see the need for either upgrade at this juncture. I have been quite satisfied with my purchase although I'll agree buying a vehicle without a test ride can be stressful. Good luck!

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    During most of my motorcycle buying career, which started in 1962, no one offered test rides, not even BMW shops. So I got all of my motorcycle model information from magazine road test reports and made my purchase decisions based upon those published articles. I cut out every one I read and kept them in a file cabinet for reference, along with buying every year's road test article compilation magazine that would be published by the editors every year. I now have thousands of road test articles, but no longer have the time to go back and read most of them. Now you can typically go for test rides of European brand motorcycles - but not so far this year.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

09-06-22
    Last weekend I convinced myself this IS the bike I want and to pull the trigger and just go for it. My brother (Honda VFR) and his son-in-law (BMW, but the ST) convinced me I'd love it. First thing Monday morning work called and cut my time and my pay. (Wife is already down to only 12 hrs/wk.) With that I realized it's just not in the cards for me this year. Gotta tread very carefully right now. Oh well. The one I was going after was located an hour and a half away at a place called Cross Country Motorsports in Metchun, NJ. It was a 2015 with the premium package, and only 1,600 miles on it for $7,000. So basically a brand new 5-year-old bike. Just looking this week and I don't see it listed in their inventory anymore. Good for someone, not me though.

06-10-20
    F800GT is really my dream too!