Should I get TE300i or TX300i? - Huskytalk.com - Husqvarna Motorcycle Forum

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

01-10-21
    I am guessing this discussion is happening already, but I cannot find it by searching.

I currently own a 2020 Yamaha YZ250FX 4-stroke. It was the wrong move for the type of riding we do. After doing better research, all signs seem to be pointing to the Husky 2-stroke.

I have narrowed it down to the 2021 Husqvarna TE300i, or the TX300i. I understand the basic differences to be 1) air versus spring forks, 2) different first and second gears, 3) headlight, and 4) approx 12lb difference. However, I just can’t settle on which one is right for me.

I am 45 and do mostly single track, woods type riding in Oregon. It includes everything from flowing woods riding to more gnarly hill climbs and rocks, etc. I want to get better at technical stuff as well. We occasionally hit a little faster, desert type stuff. I am not doing any racing, or track riding. I’m not a huge fan of the headlight and tail light look, but could get over that quickly if the other features give an advantage on the trails.

My biggest hang up is whether or not the lower first and second gear of the TE would make a difference for what we do, and if I would like the spring forks over the air.

All of that to ask, do you have a strong opinion either way? What would you do? I am sort of leaning toward the TX, in hopes I could dial in the air forks to what I want and change if needed, even for the slower technical stuff, and that the gears wouldn’t make that much difference, especially with the larger rear sprocket on the TX.

I appreciate any thoughts you have on the subject. I can’t seem to find a review from someone that has ridden both and compared for the type of riding we are doing here. Most people usually say "it depends on what you want."

Anyone have experience with both bikes? Advice/opinions?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    I would say you might like the deeper first and second gears of the TE in the tighter sections in the Oregon woods.

However the 1 tooth larger rear sprocket on the TX just about puts the TX gearbox in first and second gear down to be about the same actual final drive ratio at the wheel and tire as the TE has.

I would probably go for the head and tail light of the TE along with a license plate, which is nice if you have to jump from trail to trail on any fire roads and happen to run into the US Forestry Service or any other form of law enforcement.

But that's just me. I ride an FE 501 in the SE Arizona high desert.

I would check with the local dealer and see what he has sold the most of in your neck of the woods.
    If he has more TE's than TX models, I'd start by getting the best deal you can on which of the 2 bikes he has the most of which would probably indicate that he had ordered more TE models to begin with. I may be wrong though, then start picking his brain and doing your research on why they have decided to install the Brembo Brakes on the TE versus the Magura brake systems on the TX bikes and for what reason.

Personally I have heard the TX300i XAct forks with the AER technology is brilliant out of the box, but it is a stiffer fork that takes some time to break in, if you are less than 170lbs. when dressed with all your gear on and ready to go. Even though you can get out your air pump and can make the internal air spring any rate you want. The fork is where a lot of the weight savings is accounted for. Its not 12 lbs of lighting and the associated wiring.

I'm a big guy at 250lb and would probably rather have my local suspension guy set my forks up with the proper re-valve installation from Race-Tech and proper spring rate set up like I have always done, regardless of the cost.

As for the rear shock, I would put the rear shock on the shelf at about 25 hours of messing around, pull out my wallet and go to a WP Trax shock for the rear and get it over with. I run the WP Trax shock on my FE501 and even have one on my G450X BMW. Cant beat it, can't break it either.
    The WP Trax Shock service cost has been really inexpensive. I haven't had to replace any internal wear items in my Trax shocks over their lifetime on either of my bikes.

The bikes are priced the same, I would want to get the most for my money as a matter of principle. That would probably be about the time when the "lights go on" above my head and hopefully that would include a switch on the bars to turn them off and a better deal to go along with it than on the other model.

If you are still leaning towards the TX then get it but there maybe something else to consider.

Have you thought at all about the resale value down the road ? Or do you keep your bikes forever like I always do nowadays ?

Timmy

01-10-21
    Tims1572 Thank you very much. This is great info. I ended buying the TE300i and picking it up yesterday. I putted around in gravel parking lot last night for about an hour and already love the feel and hearing. The hydraulic levers are very stiff, and the brakes are extremely soft (barely stop you) so hopefully those all break in. I am looking forward to getting some protection on the bike, setting the sag, breaking in for a few hours, then getting it on the trails soon. Thanks again for your detailed thoughts.

5. Thanks Tims1572 thanked for this post
    Likes Tims1572 liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    You bet, I think you did the right thing. The engine on each bike is identical to one another and neither has the advantage except for a few pounds and the 2 of them having different tires. Which I'm sure you will change anyway.