2012 New Flip-up Helmet Choices - Huskytalk.com - Husqvarna Motorcycle Forum

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

04-16-11
    Vemar Attivo

Helmet manufacturers have been almost as busy as motorcycle manufacturers in releasing new models for 2012. New Flip-up choices from Vemar, Caberg, Nolan, Shoei, Lazer as previewed by WebBikeWorld. Most of these were available from the EIMCA and not available for full review yet.

Vemar Attivo is a new to the Vemar line Flip-up helmet.
    - $275 price
    - anti-fog shield
    - internal visor
    - removable liner
    - CE certified, which means the chin bar was tested the same as a full face helmet
    [source: WebBikeWorld ]

Caberg Duke replaces the Konda and Trip models for 2012. It has been reportedly reduced in weight over previous models. Duke features include:
    - drop down sun visor
    - improved neck roll for noise control
    - removable/washable liner
    - Pinlock visor system

Nolan N-104 is the successor to the popular N-103 flip-up model. The N-104 is reportedly 12 grams lighter than the N-103. Nolan also redesigned the ventilation – so much so, that it is patented.

Lazer Monaco carbon fiber flip-up is a light weight no frills package. At just 1325 grams it is over 200 grams lighter than the next model flip-up. It has no internal visor, nor pin-lock visor, but does sport a new self darkening Lumino face shield.

WbW did not information on the anticipated Shoei NeoTec. The the following is is from RevZilla’s Blog
    - 276% more air flow than the MultiTec
    - Internal sunvisor with easy to work control
    - flush mounted vents for improved aerodynamics
    [source: RevZilla (product blog) ]

We will check the traditional helmet offerings next…
    Entries from the Motorcycle Insight Blog at http://MotorcycleInsight.com. New entries daily! 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave
    05-23-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Yeah, Revzilla has a video up of the Shoei NeoTec and it looks great. *Especially* because the guy wearing it is riding a BMW GS. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-neotec-helmet
    So I have a dumb question for all the flip-up helmet users; is riding with the helmet in the "up" position awkward and/or only done at low speeds? I'm currently riding with an Arai RX-Q, which I really like, but the flip up bit and flip down sun visor looks bitchin' and has me intrigued....

cheers,

Dave
    2007 F800ST-------> 2013 F800GT 

04-03-14
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Most flip-up helmets are not intended to be ridden with the chin-bar raised. There are a few which can be locked in the up or back position.
    My Steed: 2008 f800ST low, Givi V35, SkidmarxDB, 'Glenda' Aux Lights, Mirror Extenders
    Vher's Blog

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    David
    09-02-19
    Motorcycle
    '11 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '57 Bantam D3
    Quote Originally Posted by IskaralPust View Post
    So I have a dumb question for all the flip-up helmet users; is riding with the helmet in the "up" position awkward and/or only done at low speeds?

Dave
    the question I have is why you would want to?!!!
    Any idiot can squeeze a trigger.
    It takes a special kind of idiot to use a sword. 

Real Name
    Phill
    05-30-16
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Despite looking 'dorky' when flipped up (...I've seen others wearing & thought, 'damn, do I look like that?')... helloo Captain Planet!
    The practicalities are legion and yes, in warmer times of the year I sometimes putter around town with the Nolan in open face mode, dorkiness (& safety issues) be damned!

8. Likes KirbyJ liked this post

Real Name
    Gerry
    10-10-22
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    If you ride at higher speeds with the chin bar raised - you get much turbulence and noise....not to mention the safety factor should have a get-off
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

05-30-14
    Riding with the chin bar raised is great for some ventilation when the temps soar above 35c, as can happen often enough.
    Once you get to about 40kmh it just becomes uncomfortable with the pulling of the helmet.
    If you have to ride from a checkpoint to another checkpoint like here in Mexico at a military roadblock and then to a police roadblock
    it sure beats having to take the helmet off at each stop.
    Modular helmets are great, but Caberg rivals only Motorrad corporate in poor customer relations.

11. Likes F800STIG liked this post

Real Name
    Lazer Helmets
    01-16-12
    Just to correct the information about the Lazer Monaco, the Pinlock is well provided in the box in addition to the Lumino photochromic visor fitted by default.

Real Name
    Sarah
    06-15-15
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800 ST
    I've got the caberg duke and thankfully not had to call them for any reason. I like the helmet but sometimes when flipping up the front the locking mechanism gets stuck! The pinlock visor is good but if you ever need to take the pinlock insert out you need to be quite careful as I managed to break mine when trying to adjust it . I bought another though which I've fitted and I think for the relatively low price this is quite a good helmet. I just have to remember to check the flip lock before trying to tug it back into place.

Real Name
    roger Roth
    07-22-13
    My vote is the Nolan 104 - good vents, easy to add communications, built in sun visor, comes with pilock visor too.

15. Thanks KirbyJ thanked for this post