Muffler Rattle - Huskytalk.com - Husqvarna Motorcycle Forum

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

09-08-13
    Motorcycle
    '08 CRF230L
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    I tried sending this to BMW Motorcycles Canada using their website contact form but of course it did not work. So I have asked my dealership to give me their contact details so I can send them this directly:

I own a 2010 F650GS (WB1021809AZT45171) with a little over 8000 kms on it. Yesterday the muffler started rattling when the engine comes off the throttle. It sounds like a baffle may be loose inside the canister. I brought it in to my dealership today to have it looked at and they were able to replicate the abnormal sound on another customer's F800GS. The service adviser informed me that since they all make that sound eventually, they could not replace it under warranty. If they all make that sound should that not be a recall then? If my only option is to replace the muffler with an aftermarket one, I will replace the whole bike with an "aftermarket" motorcycle (insert Japanese brand that doesn't rattle here).
    When I discovered the noise yesterday I had two other motorcyclists with me. They both found the noise abnormal and commented on the supposed quality of German engineering. I am surprised that as a company you would allow this type of negative advertising to represent your brand. Hoping to hear from you soon on this matter.
    An unsatisfied customer,

I refuse to spend my own money on an aftermarket pipe to rectify a BMW issue. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mark H
    04-01-22
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    I suggest whipping the muffler off and giving it a shake. If it rattles, then I would agree the muffler has not lasted a reasonable period and you should expect a replacement. If not and it's a vibrating baffle that is still attached, you're likely to have little recourse.
    R1200R-LC ​Exclusive in Thunder Grey with Touring Pack. Formerly Graphitane F800ST 04/2007. I rarely visit the forum these days ... 

09-08-13
    Motorcycle
    '08 CRF230L
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    It only rattles once it is warmed up which is indicative of a bad weld on a baffle. I ended up taking it back to the dealership and insisted that the owner have a listen. He brought out the mechanic who said it sounded normal. I asked if he could hear the rattle, to which he replied: oh the rattle that's not normal probably a bad weld on one of the baffles lol. They're replacing it.

5. Likes Mokkybear liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dan
    04-17-16
    Motorcycle
    '07 GSF600 Bandit
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    O.K...That's great that you got it replaced....BUT..They put another factory pipe on with likely the same problem.
    Come over to the dark side and get an aftermarket pipe Rubberb, it will sound better and you'll help support another industry.
    Then we can talk about the seat, the pegs, the controls, the stock headlight bulbs..
    '08 LT-R450 Limited
    '09 F800ST Night Blue Metalic.. was Totaled on 3/22/11
    '09 F800ST Chamapagne Metalic 

09-08-13
    Motorcycle
    '08 CRF230L
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    Lol...Not putting any aftermarket parts on this one. I use it to commute to work and a couple of rides on the weekend. Besides I spend too much money on my son't CRF70, my wife's CRF100 (soon to be my son's), my CRF230 (soon to be my wife's) and it looks like I'll need another dirt bike...you're right maybe should get some new tires, crash bars, skid plate....

Real Name
    Dan
    04-17-16
    Motorcycle
    '07 GSF600 Bandit
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    VERY cool that you're involving the whole family in getting out and riding
    '08 LT-R450 Limited
    '09 F800ST Night Blue Metalic.. was Totaled on 3/22/11
    '09 F800ST Chamapagne Metalic